The Q&A Archives: How to grow large heads of broccoli?

Question: What is needed to get large heads of broccoli? I planted some this year in my greenhouse in pots to give them a head start (so the plants would be larger before the heat of the summer), but the heads are still smaller than those seen in markets.The greenhouse-started plants flowered earlier, but were not bigger.

Answer: The trick to growing big heads of broccoli is: 1) planting at the right time (heads mature best when temps are between 45 and 60 degrees for 30 days or more). 2) keeping the plants actively growing. As soon as plants are big enough to put outside,do so and keep them well-watered and well fed. Plants grown in small containers become hard and stunted and rarely grow out of it. 3) keeping the soil evenly moist.