The Q&A Archives: Aphids Inside The Brussel Sprout

Question: I can find no sign of aphids on the leaves of the plants but the aphids are inside the brussel sprout itself. What can I do about this problem, I have had this problem for four consecutive years.

Answer: Aphids are notoriously difficult to control on this vegetable. You can try periodic frequent blasts with water under pressure to knock them off before they crawl in or use insecticidal soap according to the label instructions -- also a contact method. Alternatively, rinse them in warm water several times before cooking and then eat them anyway. (That's what I do at home. We call it "extra protein".) You might also contact the County Extension (349-1247) and see if they are recommending any additional controls.