The Q&A Archives: Yellow Tomatoes

Question: I would like to grow yellow tomatoes, but all I've seen are the Yellow Pear' variety and cherry tomatoes. Where can I find full-size yellow tomatoes? Can they be grown well in the Denver, Colorado, area? Are there more disease-resistant varieties available? Do they take longer to grow than red ones? I've heard they are less acidic than red tomatoes. Is this true? Thanks for your help. Tom Gibbons Littleton, CO

Answer: You should be able to find large fruited, yellow tomato seeds in gardening centers but if you can't call any of the following: Gurney's-605-665-1930 Johnny's-207-437-4301 Seeds of Change-888-762-7333 The most readily available variety is 'Lemon Boy', which is also disease resistant, others include 'Jubilee' and 'Sunray'. They should grow as easily as any red tomato variety in Denver. They really aren't less acid than red tomatoes, just the appearance I guess.