The Q&A Archives: Relocating Strawberry Plants

Question: I would like to relocate some strawberry plants from my garden to another location. When would be the best time to relocate the plants? This would be the third season for the plants. Dave Hinrichs Macungie, PA

Answer: If you're willing to sacrifice berries on those plants this year, then the best time is this spring after the plants have started to grow and at the point they are beginning to put out runners. Some growers like to have two strawberry beds so they canalternate and rejuvenate their beds by adding new plants every three years. Strawberries produce the best yields in their second year, picking the blossoms from one year old beds and letting the others produce yields larger and better fruit. Don't let those new plants produce this year, but let them get established in their new site. Next year they'll produce great for you.