The Q&A Archives: Pruning Vines

Question: This spring I successfully planted a wisteria and a trumpet vine on a trellis. When, if at all, and how, do I prune them? Thank you.

Answer: I hope your trellis is very big and strong because both of these vines can become monsters in a hurry. Trumpet vine is best pruned back very hard in early spring; it will bloom on the new growth of the season. Wisteria needs to be trained carefully and pruned regularly so it will not get out of control. It too can be pruned back hard to only three or four buds or about twelve inches or so -- do this all summer. In winter, shorten it back again to about 6 buds or so on each shoot. Prune out any root suckers as they occur. Enjoy your vines -- they are beautiful in bloom!