The Q&A Archives: Cooking Blue Hubbard Squash

Question: This is the first year I ever grew your Blue Hubbard Squash. I was wondering if there is any special or different way to cook it? Or better yet, how do you prepare it?

Answer: You can use it in any recipe calling for pumpkin or winter squashes such as acorn or butternut. A quick internet search should yield a number of recipes. A simple method is to wash it, cut it into quarters, scoop out the seeds and membrane then bake it rind side up in a shallow baking dish with about a half an inch of water. Bake at 375 or so until tender. (Check with a fork). Eat "as is" with butter and pepper or scoop out the pulp and put it through a food mill. Season with pepper, butter, fruit juice or herbs to taste. You can also puree it and freeze it.