The Q&A Archives: Germinating Phlox Drummondii

Question: I'd like to start phlox drummondii from seed. I've been told they like dark conditions for germinating; does that mean I should totally exclude light? My only light source for seed starting is artificial light in the basement. At what point shouldI move the flat of seedlings back under the artificial lights? How important is it to control this? P. Conlin Taconic, CT

Answer: Phlox drummondi do like total darkness to germinate, but once up they should be placed under lights with temperatures around 60F. The simple solution is to place the seedling tray in a black plastic bag until the seed germinates. Check it daily after afew days and as soon as you see signs of germination, remove it and place it under lights.