The Q&A Archives: Pineapple Indoors

Question: I am growing a Pineapple in the house. It has been growing for over a year, with no sign of blooming. How can I induce it to bloom and produce fruit?

Answer: Pineapple (Ananas comosus) is a fun plant to grow indoors, but takes several years before it's mature enough to flower, so you may be expecting too much too soon from your plant. Be sure to provide warm temperatures (75F) and direct sunshine to encourage bloom. Other care requirements include moist but not soggy soil, high humidity (mist the leaves daily during the summer months), and regular feeding with a diluted solution of liquid fertilizer during the spring and summer months. If temperatures are too cool and lighting is poor, the plant will continue to grow foliage, but will not bloom.

You might want to supplement winter daylight with artificial light to keep your plant thriving and bring it to the point where it will bloom and produce fruit for you.