The Q&A Archives: Strawberries In The High Desert Of Arizona

Question: I just read that I am supposed to mulch my strawberry plants and to wait for the ground to freeze. My ground won't freeze. When is the best time for me to mulch? I did put a new layer of compost bark under the leaves.

Answer: Mulch is good protection year around. In the summer, it helps keep soil temperatures cooler and retain moisture. During winter, if freezes are predicted, protect the plants with some type of frost protection draped over a framework so it doesn't touch the plants. Wood or plastic PVC pipe can be used for the framework. You can buy frost blankets that are rated to about 20 degrees, or you can use old sheets, burlap, etc. Take the covering off during the day so the plants don't "cook" in the sun. Good luck with your berries!