The Q&A Archives: 'Lavender Lady' and 'Persian' Lilac and 'Mermaid' Roses

Question: 1. Can you suggest a small, compact (3'w x 5'h) Syringa bush appropriate for my zone (Dallas, Tx zone 7.5) and a source? 2. After my Siberian Irises finished blooming, they were left with what appeared to be seedpods. Also, my daylilies put on seedpods after blooming. Should these be pruned off as they appear? 3. I have an antique rose climber named Mermaid which only had two major canes. One of the canes died, cause unknown; however, it has put out two new canes from the base. Someone told me that that the rose would not come back true from the base. Is that true?

Answer: 1. Look for Lilacs 'Lavender Lady' and Persian Lilac (Syringa persica) at your local nurseries. 2. For longest bloom and healthiest plants, it's always wise to deadhead by removing old flowers before they mature into seedheads. 3. 'Mermaid' is an old rose that, unlike modern roses, was grown on its own roots. Hence, any new growth from the base will be true 'Mermaid'.