The Q&A Archives: Differences Between Annuals

Question: This may sound silly, but I am new to gardening. What is an annual, a perennial etc? Does planting an annual mean the flower will bloom once a year and then the next year I will have to replant in that space or will the flower continue to bloom each year. Thanks. Tony, Budding Gardner Glendale, AZ

Answer: No question is too silly in gardening. We all were novices at one point. I'm glad you asked your questions. Annuals are flowers or vegetables that grow, flower and fruit in one growing season then die. Perennials grow, flower and fruit, and set seeds in one season. The tops die, but the roots remain so that the next year the plants regrows from the roots. Annuals need to be replanted each year, but perennials obviously don't. Have fun!