The Q&A Archives: Transplanting a Mature Azalea

Question: When can I transplant a 10 year old azalea bush? It is growing too close the house.

Answer: In my experience early spring and early fall are the best times to do this. Azaleas are fairly shallow rooted so you will not need to dig down too far to get the roots. You will however have to dig wide -- the roots probably extend well beyond the branch spread. You might trim back the plant a bit to compensate for root loss in the move, and be careful to keep it watered afterwards just as you would a new plant. Be sure to replant immediately to minimize stress. If it is of any size at all you may need help to lift it and move it -- roots and soil are amazingly heavy! (I have had luck placing the plant on a tarp and dragging it to the new location.)