The Q&A Archives: Fertilize Trees

Question: What is a good fertilizer for newly planted trees. I have weeping willow,and Newport plum.

Answer: The answer to your question depends on the type of soil you have, so I would suggest you run some basic soil tests and then select the appropriate soil amendments based on the results. Your County Extension can help you with the tests and interpreting the results. However, in general newly planted trees will benefit from a light application of a balanced garnular fertilizer such as 5-10-5 or 10-10-10 according to the instructions on the label. You can also use a fertilizer intended specifically for newly planted trees and shrubs. Always follow the label instructions because with fertilizer, too much is no better than too little.