The Q&A Archives: Seeding Snapdragons

Question: When is the best time to plant snapdragon seeds in my area? I found Rocket snapdragon plants one year in the fall and they did great the next spring, but I have not been able to find them again. The plants do not do as well when I plant them in the spring. I plant other varieties of early spring blooming annuals in the fall, but do not know when or the best way to plant snapdragon seeds. Thank you.

Answer: In mild winter climates, snapdragons do better as a cool-season plant. They don't do well in hot weather, which is probably why the plants didn't do as well when you planted them in the spring. They didn't have time to establish their root systems before warm weather set in. Now is a great time to plant them. They can be planted from late September through January. The earlier you get them in the better they'll do and the longer bloom period you'll enjoy. Plant them in different locations each year to discourage rust, which is a common problem for snaps. Good luck!