The Q&A Archives: Temperature Of Water On Growth Of Plants

Question: Is there any specific temperature of water that would affect a plants' growth? ( What would hot do? Cold? House temp.?)

Answer: Most houseplants are tropical in nature, requiring warm air temperatures, varying amounts of humidity, and moist (but not soggy) soil. I think that room-temperature water will make your plants happiest, cold water won't hurt them (but it seems like it would make them uncomfortable!) Hot water has the potential to hurt plants, and should be avoided. Hot water can injure the roots by rupturing the tissues, and can damage stems and leaves if splashed on them. I keep a container of water near my plant collection. It stays room temperature and because it sits for up to a week before being used, any chlorine in the water has a chance to evaporate.

Hope this answers your question!