The Q&A Archives: Flowering Cherry and Dogwood in California

Question: I would like to know what the actual name for the pink flowered trees in Oriental pictures! Everyone I have talked to said they are cherry blossoms but I can't find this kind of cherry anywhere. I am also curious about planting this tree in Bakersfield. Also, can I plant dogwood (cornus) in Bakersfield?

Answer: The trees are probably Prunus - either flowering cherry or flowering plum. There are so many cultivars that it's impossible to tell exactly which trees you'd like identified. Both produce springtime bloom in great abundance. Prunus yedoensis (Yoshino Flowering cherry) will grow nicely in your gardening region, as will Prunus mume (Japanese Flowering Plum). A local nursery can get these for you if they don't already carry them in stock.

Several of the dogwoods will perform well in your garden. Cornus kousa, Cornus alba, and Cornus rutgersensis are all lovely trees and reasonably disease-free as well.