The Q&A Archives: Suggest A Tree

Question: Please suggest a tree to use as a screen along the fence forming a border between my yard and overflow catch pond. I would rather not have to rake leaves in the fall but many folks in the area have various "Christmas trees" I'm looking for something different.

Answer: Perhaps instead of a tree you would like a fence covered with a vine. This would provide a year round screen without the leaf problem. You could use an evergreen such as English ivy or a flowering vine such as clematis, or a red-flowered honeysuckle to attract hummingbirds, or perhaps Virginia creeper which turns vivid red in the fall. The deciduous vines will lose their leaves in the fall but there are not as many of them as there would be from a tree.