The Q&A Archives: Eradicating Skunk Cabbage

Question: How do I get rid of skunk cabbage in my yard? I live in a wooded area that is rather wet. I live half way up a small mountain and the ground is rather wet. I have to cut this skunk cabbage down every three or four weeks during the spring and summer. Charles Vibert Bristol, CT

Answer: As you have noted, skunk cabbage thrives where the ground stays wet. It is adapted to grow--and thrive--where most other plants would drown. Rather than try to eradicate your skunk cabbage, is there any way you can dry out the sections of your yard youwould like something else to grow? Can you remove some overhanging branches to let some sunshine in? Or re-contour the area to allow for better drainage? Are there other plants you are hoping to establish? Most likely a lawn will not flourish, so consider some well-adapted woodland plants like ferns.