The Q&A Archives: Flat Bugs On My Hibiscus

Question: I have flat black scale-like bugs on my hibiscus. Thay can be scraped off but they come back. If it is scale how can I be rid of them? They start off small and greenish and as they mature they turn black. Please Help! I have tried a general spray and it didn't work. I have also tried fingernail polish remover applied directly to the insect and ...nothing.

Answer: It's hard to say for sure, but it does sound like a scale insect. I would begin by gently scraping them off, one by one. It's time consuming, but because their "shells" render many insecticides ineffective, it's a good way to control adults. A weekly spray of horticultural oil (mixed according to the package directions) is effective against the young ones, since they haven't yet developed the hard shell. Be sure to spray the undersides of the leaves, since this is where they congregate.