The Q&A Archives: Spots On Rose Leaves

Question: How can I stop my rose bushes from getting black spots on the leaves?

Answer: Black spot fungus of rose is everywhere. If you have roses, you will have some black spot. There are varieties that are resistant and seldom get black spot. When they do it is usually not a significant problem and seldom if ever requires a spray.

Most varieties however, must be sprayed on a regular basis to prevent black spot infections from becoming severe. In severe cases it can even cause defoliation of the plant. There are many fungicide products labeled for black spot on roses. Among the less toxic, natural options are: Soap-Shield (a soap spray containing copper), and Remedy (contains sodium bicarbonate or "baking soda").

Soap shield is available from:
Gardens Alive, 5100 Schenley Place, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025, (812) 537-8650

Remedy is available from:
Gardener's Supply Company, 128 Intervale Rd., Burlington, VT 05401-2850, Tel: 800-863-1700

Thanks for stopping in with your question. Please visit us again soon!