The Q&A Archives: Some Large Shade Trees

Question: I have to have a poplar tree in my front yard removed due to root damage. I would like to get large shade trees to plant in my yard but am now concerned about which type of tree I can get without causing damage to my home. Could you make a couple of suggestions? Are there any trees I can plant that has a manageable root system? Some types of apple trees might be good, but I know there have to be others that would do well in my area. I look forward to your response. It is time to plant so the sooner you respond the better. Teresa

Answer: Wastun Carson City, NV A.First of all, you'll need to determine what size tree you would like. Poplars are really the only tree notorious for the damage their water-seeking roots do, so you can choose just about anything else. You might observe what your neighbors are growing, just to get an idea of what will thrive in your area, and what size the mature tree can reach. Oak and ash make wonderful, stately shade trees. Various fruit trees, like apple, crabapple, or quince will give glorious spring flowers and will stay smaller. Russian olive has a distinct, interesting look to it. And of course you can choose evergreen trees for year-round interest and shade, and as wind-breaks.