The Q&A Archives: Crop Rotation

Question: My family only likes certain veggies. I use square foot gardening methods so space is limited. My family likes the following veggies; tomatoes,eggplant,peppers,squash,lettuce,carrots.Since I only have a very limited area to plant, crop rotation is a real problem. Is there any way around crop rotation? Any suggestions?

Answer: Crop rotation is the best way to avoid problems, but if you decide to gamble the next best thing in my experience is to keep adding ample organic matter, especially compost, to the soil. The healthier your soil is the better prepared the plants are when it comes to resisting potential problems. You should also be extra careful about garden sanitation throughout the year and grow resistant varieties whenever possible. Finally, apart from possibly learning to like more of a variety of veggies, you might consider using some containers in an effort to add enough space to allow for a longer rotation.