Answer: It sounds like you may have the plant Hebe speciosa (or related cultivars), which is frequently grown as a greenhouse plant or houseplant. The references I consulted did not mention any particular toxicity, though that doesn't necessarily mean the plant isn't harmful if ingested.
Upon searching the web, I came across the site for The Hebe Society -- The Society for Hebes and Other Native Plants of New Zealand
You might contact them and see if they have further information.
Q&A Library Searching Tips