The Q&A Archives: Peach Fuzz that Appears Eaten

Question: What is destroying the skin on my developing peaches. The outer skin [fuzz] appears to be eaten. George Gulliford Phoenix, AZ

Answer: I can't say for sure what is happening to your peaches. Is this happening to all the fruit on the tree, or just some of them? Is it occuring in sections on each peach, or is the entire peach fuzz-free? If you have more than one tree, does this problemshow up on all the trees? Does it look like it is damaging the fruit, or is it just a surface blemish? Have the peaches been affected in previous years? Have you had any unusual weather this year--either exceptionally cold or warm, dry or wet? It might be a good idea to contact your local Extension office; they may have a plant diagnostic clinic where you can bring your fruit. In any case, they will have information on pests and climate concerns specific to your region. Their number is 602/470-8086.