The Q&A Archives: Storing a Bare Root Peach Tree until Planting

Question: I have recieved Reliant peach tree (bare root) earlier than I expected. The ground is still semi- frozen. I presently have it in the basement in a bucket of water to keep roots wet. The weather will warm somewhat above freezing in three days (March 27 ) I hope. What should I do about planting it? Thank you very much! Mike Nardone Derry, NH

Answer: You shouldn't have received your bare rooted tree so early! To try to hold it until May when it's planting time, I'd place it in a cool (40F) basement with the roots wrapped in damp peat moss or newspapper and covered with plastic. The roots need tobe damp, but not wet. Hopefully it won't start growing until May when you can plant. If it doesn't survive, send it back to the nursery for a refund!