The Q&A Archives: Shade Gardening

Question: We bought a house with an established yard and garden. Most of the garden area is in the shade. I would like some info on plants and flowers that grow and bloom well in the shade. Could you give me any suggestions?

Answer: There are a number of groundcovers, perennials and shrubs that will adapt to growing in the conditions you describe.

Brunfelsia pauciflora is a shrub with clusters of violet flowers with yellow centers. Camellia's - many varieties - love shadeand come in lots of colors. Daphne odora (Winter daphne) has tiny fragrant blooms in December and January.

Groundcovers include Pachysandra (yellow flowers), Trachelospermum (Star Jasmine) with fragrant white flowers, and Vinca minor (Periwinkle) that blooms abundantly from spring through fall. Colors are either white or purple.

Perennials - Campanula in shades of blue, purple, white or pink, impatiens (same color choices), saxifraga, Asian lilies, and pansies.