The Q&A Archives: Non Blooming Bee Balm

Question: I have a bee balm that never bloomed this year. I was wondering if it could have been because of the drought this summer. Also, we've had a few light frosts and the plant still looks pretty healthy. What should I do with it during the winter?

Answer: Bee balm (monarda) does prefer ample moisture and a rich soil to bloom its best, and I have seen a few new plants that refused to bloom for no obvious reason until the second year. It is also possible, if you bought your plant later in the season, that it had bloomed before you bought it. Assuming your plant is in the ground, simly trim it back to about three or four inches after frost kills back the tops and if you like, surround it with a few inches of organic mulch such as shredded bark. Do not apply it over top of the crown, however. Next spring you should see new shoots coming up from the ground and tyhe plant should also spread wider -- keep an eye on it because it can grow outward fairly quickly..