The Q&A Archives: Resources on Companion Planting

Question: I am getting ready to plant my vegetable garden for the first time in this area (Show Low - Arizona). I am interested in information on "companion planting" for my vegetable garden (i.e. potatoes next to beans or tomatoes next to?). Our local nursery has a book they refer to but it doesn't provide any book/information for sale on this subject. Can you help? Thanks. Sheryl Berentz Show Low, AZ

Answer: There are many different opinions on companion planting, some based on companion vegetables, some based on companion vegetables with herbs and some based on a combination. A classic book still available is "Carrots Love Tomatoes" by Louise Riotte and published by Garden Way Publishing. Another source is the Farmer's Almanac.