The Q&A Archives: Blueberry bush tips turn black

Question: My blueberry bushes have had some of the tips turn black and then the leaves on that branch wilt - not necessarily the entire bush. It is not a question of water since I know and keep them well watered. This only happens in the Spring. Subsequently, the bush may or may not come back to life. Any ideas for treatment or prevention?

Answer: Blueberries are susceptible to many diseases including cane canker, twig blight, twig canker, and stem blight (similar sounding and similar in overall symptoms -- dieback -- but different diseases). Most of these diseases are prevalent in spring when moisture levels are high, temps are rising, and new growth is soft. You can minimize damage by cutting off and disposing of diseased canes early in the season as soon as you see symptoms.