The Q&A Archives: Citronella

Question: Is the mosquito plant (citronella) an annual or a perennial? I brought mine indoors for the winter or should I have planted it?

Answer: Most of the so-called mosquito plants are treated like scented geraniums. These plants are long lived in warm climates but do not withstand cold winters, so you do have to bring it inside for the winter. Some gardeners opt to treat them like annuals and leave them outside where they freeze to death along with the traditional annuals such as petunias and marigolds. When planted in the ground for the summer these plants tend to grow larger and lusher than they would in a pot. Knowing this, some gardeners will plant them in the ground each spring, then in late summer take cutting or two to be wintered over in a pot and then use that as the replacement outdoors the following spring.