The Q&A Archives: Preparing

Question: I'm going to plant a new bed of hybrid tea roses. The area is in front of a building and covers 66feet. How should I prepare the soil, should any fertilizer go into the prepared soil? How far apart should they be planted? Paul Latino Wappingers Falls, NY

Answer: Roses like space to grow, space is also good to promote air circulation which prevents fungal diseases. Prepare beds 24" deep of well-drained, well-fortified soil using organic matter, compost, well rotted manure or leaf mold. Mix into the soil a fertilizer specifically adapted for roses (which has additional amendments) or a 5-10-5. Fertilize again when they bloom. Spacing should be 2' to 3' which will allow for growth and pruning access. They should planted and oriented to get as much sun as possible. It helps to create a well around the base of the plant when mulching to help direct water to the roots.