The Q&A Archives: Avoiding Thick-Skinned Cherry Tomatoes

Question: Cherry tomatoes are one of my favorite garden vegatables to grow. Last summer I planted cherry tomato plants called Sweet 100's.' They were very sweet and juicy but had a tough outer skin. Is there any variety of cherry tomato plant that is sweet without the tough outer skin? Bethany Michigan

Answer: Thick skin on cherry tomatoes is a function of variety as well as growing conditions. Drought stress is one way to get thick skins. I'd advice mulching the tomatoes this year with a 4-6" layer of hay or straw once they're established. That will help keep the soil moisture constant. And of course, water whenever it's dry. Other cherry tomato varieties to try include 'Sungold' and 'Sweet Million', both available through, Tomato Grower Supply Co. P.O. Box 2237 Ft. Myers, Fl 33902 941-768-1119