The Q&A Archives: Fungus Attack On Cuttings

Question: I propagated Myrtle cuttings not long ago, and fungus attacked the cuttings at the base. What should I do? (I wanna keep my cuttings)

Answer: Usually fungal problems appear when the soil is too moist, air circulation is poor, and/or temperatures are too high or too low. Modifying these conditions as needed may stop the fungus. In addition, you could try misting them once or twice with chamomile tea or applying a fungicide according to the label instructions. Should you decide to go that route, you might contact your County Extension (566-0673) for the most up to date suggestion as to which fungicide to try. Should you try again with this type of cutting, you might also consider using a rooting hormone/fungicide combination when you stick them and be sure all of your tools and materials are very clean.