The Q&A Archives: Discolored Pepper Leaves

Question: All I did was move a pepper plant outside the cover of the green house. It had been under the cover and with the light above it for some time and the other plants are showing signs of the same problem on the leaf under the cover of the green house. Iwas wondering if it could be a blight in the soil and is there a way to sterilize the soil before I use it? I thought all potting soils were sterilized. I'm going to start my tomato plants soon and I'm afraid of the same thing happening. I will be using Jiffy Mix instead of this dark organic pros mix this time around. Will plants come out of this trans plant shock that you described? Is there anything I can do to help this plant? It is growing well and will this leaf discolor hurt any of myother plants. Looking forward for your response. George

Answer: It seems like it's probably not sunburn on your peppers from what you describe. If it is a disease, I'd start with fresh soil and clean all pots and benches witha bleach solution. You can also send a sample of the leaf to your local State UniversityPlant Diagnostic Lab for a positive ID. Sorry I couldn't help you further.