The Q&A Archives: Tall, Weak Periwinkles

Question: I have periwinkles that seem to be growing tall, about one foot but the taller they get their leaves start turning yellow. I added fertilizer and even amended the existing soil with Vita-hume Top Soil. But still they are turning yellow and the pink flowers are skinnier and not full. What could be wrong. I've even tried insecticidal soap to kill any bugs and to see if that was the problem. Another thing is have you ever heard of Dynogen?? They sell it in mail order. Could spraying that on them have made them grow taller and faster but weak and easily diseased? Help.... looking forward to your response. Marsha Fernandez Sanford, FL

Answer: I assume your periwinkle are in shade and you're not experiencing too much heat in Florida yet. I'm not familiar with Dynogen, but if it is a plant hormone or fertilizer, then it could be what's causing the abnormal growth. Take a look on the label and see what the ingredients are. Keep the plant's well watered and if Dynogen isn't a fertilizer, consider giving the plants a dose of organic fertilizer such as fish emulsion or seaweed to increase the green growth.