The Q&A Archives: Roses Not Blooming

Question: My roses do not bloom and those that do, some die before opening up. Is this a disease problem or not enough sunlight? They get less than 3 hours per day.

Answer: Plants that have to struggle to survive often develop insect and disease problems. I suspect your roses are trying very hard to please you, but are unable to bloom because they're not getting enough sunshine. Roses require eight or more hours of direct sunshine each day. Try to find a more suitable spot for your roses and transplant them in February. You can prune them back just before transplanting, making sure you remove any obviously diseased canes and stems. Once established in their new sites, your roses should reward you with lots of healthy blooms.