The Q&A Archives: Gopher Control

Question: I need gopher protection for my vegetable garden. How do I keep them out?

Answer: Prevention of gopher damage is best done with barriers. Garden centers and hardware stores sell special wire cages that can be placed around plantings, plants, or small gardens. They're buried vertically underground. The most effective control is trapping. Again, check with your local garden center, hardware store, or feedmill for the best traps. It's important to place the traps in the main runway, using two traps, one on either side of the excavation. Attach the traps to a stake on the surface. When the traps are set in place, plug the hole with a ball of greens such as carrot tops, fresh grass, or salad left-overs. Then place a board over the greens to block all light. Be persistent.