The Q&A Archives: Fruitless Peach Tree

Question: I have a dwarf peach tree that is approx 7 yrs & has never blossomed. I also have a dwarf golden delicious apple tree the same age that has never blossomed either. What can I do to get them to blossom & then bear fruit?

Answer: Since neither tree has blossomed at all, there are several possible reasons I can think of. They may possibly be in need of nitrogen or other nutrients during the growing season. To check this you will need to run some basic soil tests and see. Your County Extension should be able to help you with the tests and interpreting the results. Next, it is possible they are in a frost pocket and the blooms are being frozen out. Finally, poor maintenance may be contributing to the lack of production. Your County Extension should also be able to provide you with the recommended spray regime and seasonal timing information for fruit trees in your area. Their phone number is 736-3394.