The Q&A Archives: Starting Pepper Seeds

Question: I bought large green peepers at the store they were delicious, is it possible to save some of the seeds from the peppers to start in my garden in the spring if so how do I save the seeds until spring?

Answer: It is possible to save the seeds, however the resulting pepper plants probably will not match the parents and in fact the seeds may not even be viable because most of the greeen peppers at the store are modern hybrids. To save the seeds, allow the pepper to ripen fully at room temperature (until it turns red) and then remove the seeds. If the pepper ws picked very green it may rot first, but unless they are mature the seeds won't germinate later. Allow them to dry thoroughly (several weeks at room temperature) and then store them dry and cool until planting time. A good place to keep them is in a labeled sealed container (such as a jar with a lid) in the refrigerator. Good luck with your experiment!