The Q&A Archives: Growing Tobacco

Question: I am interested in growing tobacco. I am familar with the government restrictions and have already acquired some seeds. I am looking for sources of information, and up to this point have come across a very limited number. Can you help? P.S. Is Tobacco a nightshade? If so can I treat growing this plant much like a tomato? Your help would be greatly appreciated. John

Answer: I'd grow tobacco like nicotiana --- they are more closely related than tomatoes and tobacco (but all three are solancaea). Plant in full sun, well drained soil heavily amended with compost or manures and keep it well watered throughout the growing season. Certain pests such as horn worms will be a problem, but it would be better to contact your State Department of Agriculture for more guidelines on growing it in your state. If you're in the South, there should be plenty of information available.