The Q&A Archives: Brown Bottom Leaves On Clematis

Question: Why do my clematis vines turn brown on the bottom, even though the vine continues to flower? What are they telling me?

Answer: Clematis vines seldom have disease problems, but occasionally wilt disease infects parts of the plant. If you observe one branch or part of the plant wilting while the other parts are normal, cut that portion out. Another problem with clematis is browning of the leaves in late summer. This browning doesn't seem to follow any pattern; it happens in wet or dry seasons. Prompt removal of this dry foliage hastens new shoot development and reduces
the unsightliness of the plants.

Clematis vines need shade at the base. Many plants die because the soil becomes too warm. A lean-to shingle can serve temporarily as a sun baffle, or a planting of non-competing ground cover is enough to cool the soil.

Hope the above helps you determine the cause for yellowing leaves on your clematis.