The Q&A Archives: Eradicating Snails

Question: The flowers I just planted are being wiped out by snails and slugs. What can I use to rid my flowers of these pests? Dick Gunsaullus Bradenton, FL

Answer: Snails and slugs are big garden pests when its wet and cool. Remove any mulch or hiding places from around the plants, cultivate regularly and try deterents such as diatomaceous earth, sharp sand, wood ashes or crushed egg shells around the plants. Some people use beer traps, placing beer in containers in the garden to attract and drown the creatures. Others place boards in the garden at night and check in the morning for the slugs hiding unde the boards and kill them. There are even commercial chemical baits that will kill them also. Check your local garden center for all the possible choices.