The Q&A Archives: Persian Purple Lilac

Question: I've had a Persian purple lilac for a few years and it never has flowered. Can you tell me what the problem could be? Perhaps, because it is in a partly shady place?

Answer: Lilacs including this one do grow best in full sun, but they also bloom in partial shade although not as heavily. This particular variety tends to be a "shy" bloomer, meaning it needs to be a number of years old before it will bloom so it is possible you simply need to be patient a bit longer. You might also make sure you are not pruning it at the wrong time of year and thus inadvertently removing flower buds -- prune in late spring/early summer immediately after the normal bloom time; this variety blooms a bit later than the normal lilacs.