The Q&A Archives: Some "Beefsteak" Type Tomato Varieties

Question: For the last three years I've grown my vegetable and herb garden from seed, with much success thanks to Burpee, but last year my tomatoes didn't do very well due to all the rain. I think they were weak from the start. This year I've decided to buy tomato plants. Which "Beefsteak" type tomatoes do you recommend for this area? Can I use the soil from last year's pots as filler in my vegetable garden without taking away any nutrients? I plan on adding compost, manure and more top soil to my garden. Will the old roots ever grow again? Karen Lorentz Coatesville, PA

Answer: There's nice new beefsteak-type hybrid available called 'Big Beef' that's disease resistant and very productive. Also, 'Better Boy' is another large-fruited variety. Another nice heirloom, 'Brandywine' is available as transplants from Burpee. You can mix old potting soil into your garden without any concerns. The roots won't sprout up again this year.