The Q&A Archives: Grapes Produce No Fruit

Question: My Catawba grapes have not produced fruit since the first year they were planted(3 years ago). My friend tells me there is a specific way to prune the plant to produce fruit.When should I prune these vines?

Answer: The best time to prune grapes is in late winter, very early spring. They should be pruned back hard to only a few buds. Note that new vines take some time to become established and produce well. Most gardeners also find that it is necessary to do some preventive spraying to get a good grape harvest so you might also want to check with your local County Extension (599-6162) about any suggested spray routine for grapes in your area -- the timing and specific sprays are best determined by the local weather patterns and specific incidences of diseases in your local area.