The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Liriope (Monkey Grass)

Question: I would like to move a mature stand of ornamental grass (Monkey Grass, I think) to another place in my lawn. Is this possible? How would I do it? Should I prune it back first? What's the best time of year to do this?

Answer: Your Monkey Grass (Liriope) should be moved when dormant, at the end of winter/beginning of spring before new growth starts. Transplant as you would any perennial. Dig and prepare the new hole first so roots are exposed for as short a time as possible. They like well-drained soil. Dig around the clump with a spading fork to loosen and lift. You can divide the clump if it's too large, gently pulling apart the root mass or cutting it with a sharp spade. Try to avoid damaging any new young growth at the outer edges. The middle of the plant is usually more woody. Normally, cut liriope back in the spring, just as new growth begins, but you can do it before transplanting to make it easier to move. Good luck!