The Q&A Archives: Controlling Anthracnose Fungus on Dogwoods

Question: What are the solutions, if any, to the anthracnose fungus that is slowly killing my dogwoods? Are there remedies? Are there any fungus resistant varieties commercially available? I am aware of the Korean dogwood, but it is a poor substitute for the real American thing. Chuck Hopkinson Falmouth, MA

Answer: Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any sprays that will work to control the Anthracnose fungus on Cornus florida (dogwoods). You mentioned substitute trees such as a the Kousa dogwood. These are resistant, but as you noted, not the same show as the flowering dogwoods. To keep a tree healthy, make sure it has good air circulation, pruned annually, has a good eastern exposure to dry the leaves quickly in the morning and is kept at optimum health with fertilizer and water. Breeders are working on resistant varieties, but to my knowledge haven't introduced a tree yet.