The Q&A Archives: Care For Poinseta

Question: I saved a pointsettia from last year, it is beautiful. What do I do to make it turn red etc. I heard you put in a closet. Is that correct?

Answer: Unfortunately it's too late for your plant to turn color for this holiday season. The plants need to be kept in total
darkness for 12-14 hours every night beginning in September to promote coloring of the bracts (the petal-like leaves) by Christmas. The best way to provide the necessary darkness is to place your plant in a closet or cover it with a bucket or carton to block out all light, even from a streetlight or lamp. It sounds finicky, which is why many people purchase new plants every year. But it can be fun to see your old plant friend change color as the holidays approach. If you have enough plants, you can rotate them through this process so at least one will be "in bloom" at all times!