The Q&A Archives: Growing Lettuce In A Greenhouse

Question: Some time back I saw on TV a resturant growing lettuce and mowing it daily to be used with their other food. Which of your varieties would be best for this procedure?

Answer: Nearly any leaf lettuce as opposed to heading lettuce will do well with this technique although individual plants would not be cut daily -- they would be on a rotation. The choice would then be one of taste; I think they all taste fine but a chef might have a more exacting opinion especially if the lettuce is commanding a premium price. You might also consider either a looseleaf lettuce mix such as the "Gourmet Blend" (Grand Rapids, Royal Oak Leaf, Red Salad Bowl, Salad Bowl and Ruby) (Available from Burpee at 800-888-1447) or even a mesclun mixture of cutting greens for this purpose.