The Q&A Archives: Geraniums in Winter

Question: I have beautiful red geraniums in large flowering pots. They are still blooming. I brought them in the house; will they stay nice until next spring if I take care of them and which room do I put them in? I was told to take them out of the pots and hang them upside down in the cellar and then transplant them again in the spring. I'm in a quandry. I just hate to see them die; they are beautiful. I have about a dozen of them.

Answer: If you have a very sunny spot for them they should be fine and will continue blooming in the house. It is possible to store them in a cellar if it is cool enough to make the plants go dormant --but most modern basements are too warm. If space is an issue you could take cuttings from these plants and winter the cuttings over in a sunny window instead of keeping the entire mother plant(s), too.